Infiniti Q30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Infiniti Q30 and the Mercedes-Benz GLA will be built at the same Mexico plant. This makes sense since the Q30 and the GLA both use Mercedes-Benz' NGCC (Next Generation Compact Car) architecture.

While no one has seen the Q30 yet, we will get a look at the Q30 Concept at the Frankfurt Motor Show next week. At the same show the Mercedes-Benz GLA production model will be on display.

It is also rumored that the Mercedes-Benz CLA may also be built at the same plant since it uses the same base architecture.

I am waiting with baited breath to see the similarities and differences between the vehicles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think it's pretty cool Mercedes and Infiniti teamed up on this platform, being on a Mercedes platform it gives the Q30 a higher status

·
Registered
279 Posts
The Q30 and GLA should be a similar size. The GLA photos are out if people are interested in seeing. Could give us an idea of how the interior and exterior is going to be shaped like for the Q30

The GLA would likely be the premium Q30.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure that the Q30 is a direct competitor with the GLA. The Q30 is supposed to be coupe/crossover/hatchback, while the GLA is a small crossover. Sure people might look at both, but the Q30 is trying to be its own breed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This info isnt entirely true, GLA and Q30 are expected to be built eventually at the new Aguascalientes plant in Mexico that will be coming online shortly. But the GLA will initially be built in Rastatt, Germany before shifting to Mexico after its redesign in 2018.

And confirming the commingling:

"To my knowledge, the Q30 and the GLA share some components," Mercedes-Benz North America spokesman Christian Bokich (Reuters)

The Q30 will likely be built in two locations, Mexico to service the U.S market and Sunderland, U.K to service Europe. Its possible GLA could even see production in Sunderland alongside Q30.

My curiosity wonders though what effect the shift to Mexican production will have. First of all it will give Mercedes a boost in the profit margin on each GLA, German workers are much more expensive than their Mexican counterparts.

Second I wonder if we will see any differences in build quality, I know the Lincoln MKZ suffered dearly during its launch because of poor quality control at Ford's Mexican manufacturing facility. MKZs were beeing shipped to Michigan for assembly but already the launch was torpedoed by a lack of cars on dealer lots...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I too have the same question on cars being built in mexico seems like its not consistent. some turn out great and some are horrible with lack of quality. Maybe a management issue.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I too have the same question on cars being built in mexico seems like its not consistent. some turn out great and some are horrible with lack of quality. Maybe a management issue.
Its possible, but its also possible those are the consequences of cheap labour? I mean would you work harder for $5 pay or $10 pay.. Its all about worker psychology, if a worker feels under paid they are more likely to shirk or neglect certain aspects of job function, but if a worker feels adequately paid or feels lucky to be making that much they will be diligent down to the last detail for fear of losing their cushy paycheck...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't think the Q30 would be comparable to the GLA. Yes they are built on the same platform, but isn't the Q30 a bit more sedan-like while the GLA is more of a small crossover?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Although they have their differences they can definitely compete, i think one of the things Infiniti is giving the Q30 is an air suspension to lower and raise it for different uses. seems like it can be both an SUV and crossover

·
Registered
766 Posts
I wouldn't want it in the GLA, plus MB has no good reason for it with all the vehicles they sell, Infiniti on the other hand has reasons for this, their lack of vehicles being one

·
Registered
766 Posts
You're right, it's not required, but it does help to improve the Q30, making it serve more purposes, at least it can help them reach out to more people.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Making it an option is the best thing to do, not everyone will want it and not everyone will actually need it, so if you get it although you don't want it, you're going to feel like you paid $5k extra for something you didnt want

1 - 20 of 26 Posts