Infiniti Q30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just got my Infiniti Q30 on Wednesday. Today (Friday) I have found a large puddle of water on the floor in the back of the car on the driver side (right-side as I'm in the UK)!

Has anyone else experienced this? Any thoughts on what could've caused it?

The only thing I can think is that maybe my bag strap was hanging out of that door on my drive home from work yesterday. However, it was only a 15 minute drive, and it wasn't even raining, so I don't know how it could've got so wet so quickly.

Of course I can take it back to the dealership if it turns out that there is a fault with the vehicle. Just wondering if this is a common problem.

Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should've mentioned that, whilst it wasn't raining when I was driving it, it had been raining earlier and did rain later in the day and overnight (typical British summer!).

·
Registered
197 Posts
I really don't think having your bag strap hanging out would allow for that much water. The weather proofing strip should still be able to block any moisture from entering the vehicle from any opening. Definitely go to the dealership and have them deal with that. Also check around where the water puddle is to see if anything is damaged because that'll lead to mold, rust, etc. And you definitely don't want that !

·
Registered
380 Posts
Does your Q30 have the the optional panoramic glass roof? Wonder if there's a seal leak there. If you bring your Q30 to the dealership, they'll hose it down and check for leaks while doing it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Does your Q30 have the the optional panoramic glass roof? Wonder if there's a seal leak there. If you bring your Q30 to the dealership, they'll hose it down and check for leaks while doing it.
Quite possible that's it since car makers outsource a lot of stuff and it could end up being a part (rubber seal?) from a bad batch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The rubber sealing or weather stripping would be the only thing that could have "failed" for this to happen
NOT true.....under normal rain conditions any ingress into the cabin of a new car is more than likely due to something missing or badly fitted, water can gain access through a pin sized hole in the body sealant but that much to soak the rear footwell carpet isent a good sign.

Every new car manufacturer puts there cars through a shower test don't be fooled by the name it's an absolute torrent, how that's got past quality control is a mystery but there are numerous entry points...I'd forget the moonroof unless the headliner is wet..it could be the roof rails or a grommet to blame....check the boot is it dry....make sure it's not getting in via the rhr door and running over the kick plate...could the rhr window have been slightly open....check the front footwells is the carpet dry ? Finally withdraw the rhr seat belt to its maximum is the webbing wet ?

But in retrospect it's not your problem take it back and don't live with a car that leaks it's a recipe for disaster given these days how many electronic components and harness connectors live on the floor.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Wouldn't it have to be really badly fitted to have that happen though ? In which case it would be quite noticeable no ?
Yes...I agree something is sadly wrong, without seeing the problem it's difficult to diagnose. I'd be tempted to put a hosepipe over the general area and have a friend spotting inside car....its amazing how much can get in through the smallest of holes but to soak the carpet...if it was a front footwell I'd go for a gap in the front screen mastic as all glass nowadays is bonded in
as for the q30's glass roof it's bonded and bolted into place...another prime entry point is the fuel filler aperture but it's on the wrong side of the car....so strange

·
Registered
380 Posts
Best to bring a leaking vehicle back to the dealership so they can water pressure test it for you and they'll document any leaks they find. This way if there is any water damage down the road caused by the leak, they should cover it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So after taking it to the dealership...they discovered absolutely nothing! They confirmed all the seals were fine, nothing had been fitted incorrectly or wasn't as it should be.

They've suggested that the only possible explanation is that it was actually wet when I picked it up, and admitted that they could've left it sat outside with the rear window open. I've had the car back for a week now and not had any problems since so I think this must be it to be honest!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow.. that's quite ridiculous though. Did they at least offer to give you a full detail and check and make sure nothing was damaged or corroded or anything ?

·
Registered
380 Posts
can you demand that they clean the carpet for you and do their best to completely dry out the area? My biggest worry about those carpets are mold and what happens under them when they get wet. That was unacceptable for them to just keep a window open and soak a new car. Maybe may them throw in floor mats.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Exactly that ^^ That's like.. health hazardous. That area needs to be thoroughly dried out, and then steam cleaned.

·
Registered
766 Posts
These cars often go through many hands, the tech and car jockeys for the most part and then there's the detailers and cleaners. Sucks that someone forgot to keep the window closed. Hopefully the issue is resolved by now if not, it could get worse.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I mean, it definitely happens on the occasion. People make mistakes. But at least go that extra step and offer a full fix to this instead of just saying yea, it happened, we apologize.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts