Infiniti Q30 Forum banner

Infiniti Q30 Is It Turbocharged or Supercharged?

14K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Zeus 
#1 ·
Reading articles and pieces from different sites got me mixed up about whether the engine in the Q30 is turbocharged or supercharged. As of know is that it will have a 2.5L four cylinder with one single electric motor making it a hybrid. But what do you think would be better for it to be supercharged or turbocharged and why?

#2 ·
Both are similiar to achieve performance but is different the way it works. It all comes down to power delivery. The power range I find is different for the two and how you tune it makes the biggest difference. Personally I would prefer a turbo charger because of the power band.

#4 ·
I understand most of the technologies will be shared from the existing Mercedes vehicles but the Q30 might be different and I think it should be to separate itself. Supercharging might be useful for a linear power band to use and I feel as if turbo is geared more toward efficiency. But the main thing is the direction Infiniti wants to go. Both should be able to deliver power no questions asked.

#5 ·
well don't forget about the hybrid electric motor. these usually would help make a huge amount of torque that four cylinders usually lack and with the combination of a turbo or charger your really have the best of both worlds.

don't superchargers usually have the annoying whining sound. I would be be thrown off by it. turbo is for me ; )

#11 ·
there are situations where it's needed. for example if you need great amounts of power when moving from a stop, a supercharger can do that well enough, but turbochargers need the engine it's mount to to reach a higher RPM range to actually do it's job. Example of this is the QX60 Hybrid.

#13 ·
I actually find that it's mainly tuners that add turbo's to their stock engines that experience turbo lag, usually when done by the car maker there's very little to no turbo lag. I remember reading somewhere that some new turbo engine is coming out that will have NO turbo lag.

#15 ·
I haven't experienced too much with older stock turbo cars but the newer ones sometimes it is so seamless you don't even realize there is a turbo charger. I find that it is a case of the size of the turbo, usually with smaller ones and the tune makes it seamless and no lag.

#16 ·
I have faith in infiniti for putting a turbocharger along with the motor to make it more efficient and powerful. But I still think that there might be a few updates on the ecu to have the best running map for the vehicle. Even other similar vehicles have gone through flash updates to meet greater numbers for mileage.

#18 ·
given the option I would pick the turbo over the supercharger but I wouldn't mind testing out the supercharger to get a feel for the difference in starting off the line.

seems like superchargers were a thing of the past and more common on domestic type vehicles than asian imports.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.