Infiniti Q30 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the windshield of the new infiniti Q30 will be 1 piece of tempered glass that goes over top and becomes the roof and headliner for the best view experience.

Here is a shot revealing the interior from the top view.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Do you know for sure if the one piece windshield and roof will be on the production model? I'd be VERY surprised if it is, not something I expected from Infiniti. But, if this is really on the production model Q30 it will be a great step in the right direction for Infiniti. If there's anything they need, it's features that make them stand out from the rest.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Now that is the most unique headliner of them all. It's like virtually having a convertible but without the breeze to go along with it.

I can see the sunlight causing an issue for vision but hey this is still a concept. They would probably tint it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
another thing that rung a bell is how durable is that tempered glass. In a case of an accident passengers inside the Q30 would have shards of glass all over them posing a threat.

for now since it is still mainly a concept I wouldn't count on the Q30 having the glass roof for practical reasons. But hey you never know they could just end up replacing it with tinted ballistic poly carbonate instead of glass.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do you know for sure if the one piece windshield and roof will be on the production model? I'd be VERY surprised if it is, not something I expected from Infiniti. But, if this is really on the production model Q30 it will be a great step in the right direction for Infiniti. If there's anything they need, it's features that make them stand out from the rest.
Referencing from the photo it seems to be one full piece from the hood rim to the back widow.

I mean it could be just a part of the concept for this feature but in most cases things change before they become production vehicle sold to the public.

·
Registered
766 Posts
another thing that rung a bell is how durable is that tempered glass. In a case of an accident passengers inside the Q30 would have shards of glass all over them posing a threat.

for now since it is still mainly a concept I wouldn't count on the Q30 having the glass roof for practical reasons. But hey you never know they could just end up replacing it with tinted ballistic poly carbonate instead of glass.
I bet it won't do that well in crash tests. Not only that but imagine the cost to replace it if you have to pay out of your own pocket. It will NOT be cheap.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hoping to get the poly carbonate plastic but it just won't be the same as glass. And if it were to be glass the temperatures would be insanely high from the sun coming through.

·
Registered
40 Posts
one stone crack and you'll be financing a new roof, no thank you. Very doubtfull the glass roof makes Q30 production. Expensive, heavy and risky in a roll over...

·
Registered
766 Posts
one stone crack and you'll be financing a new roof, no thank you. Very doubtfull the glass roof makes Q30 production. Expensive, heavy and risky in a roll over...
if they are smart about it, they'll have a frame support painted black to dividing the two pieces of glass for the roof and windshield. but design it well enough to make it look seemless. being in black....it will be easier to make it look like that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
if they are smart about it, they'll have a frame support painted black to dividing the two pieces of glass for the roof and windshield. but design it well enough to make it look seemless. being in black....it will be easier to make it look like that.
but then you lose the dome/cockpit feel, if you take that away it just seems like a waste. From the outside you might not know but its the people inside who go to look up at their panoramic $40,000 view and find a black bar blocking all the best parts.

people are pissy, just saying

·
Registered
44 Posts
So I am glad to say that the roof will just not work. I am still putting money on the glass roof but it just won't be the whole roof and being one piece.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Now that is the most unique headliner of them all. It's like virtually having a convertible but without the breeze to go along with it.

I can see the sunlight causing an issue for vision but hey this is still a concept. They would probably tint it.
imagine if it was auto tinting glass.

I agree about the safety issue though. The one piece glass might look nice but I don't think it would ever get passed safety requirements.

·
Registered
5 Posts
WOW that is looking awesome, i love the design of the car because it looks unique and beautiful. And I m sure its will very attractive when run on the road.. thanks fro sharing the great review..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bet Q30 gets something like the Lincoln MKZ with the big sliding glass roof. although that would really alter the sleek roofline the Q30 concept has. It just seems like too much of a hassle unless they go the Gorilla Glass route that BMW is taking with the i8.

·
Registered
55 Posts
imagine if it was auto tinting glass.

I agree about the safety issue though. The one piece glass might look nice but I don't think it would ever get passed safety requirements.
The auto tinting feature would be amazing! Has no one thought of that yet? But this feature is only on carbonate plastic isn't it? or does it apply to glass too?

·
Registered
58 Posts
If it were to have these sorts of features you can say good bye to the $30,000 starting price. Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts