Infiniti Q30 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It could be argued that the only sport worth the billions of dollars invested is motor racing, the only sport where investment has real world implications as technologies end up trickling into our road cars.

Infinitis new technical partnership with F1’s premier Red Bull racing team has its sights set on leveraging its race experience to build better cars. Infinitis Direct Response Hybrid system underpinning the Q50 H and expected to show up in the Q30, seems to have its roots in Formula 1. The system that uses an electric motor wedged between the engine and the transmission is very reminiscent of the F1 KERS system. Using regenerative braking to recharge the system Infinitis DRH pulls power from the electric motor to give performance boosts during acceleration or overtaking.

Hybrid systems are the latest in a long line of racing influenced technology that has made its way onto Main Street, here’s a quick look at some of the others.

Tires on racing cars have had a big impact on street cars. In the late 60s, tire manufacturers discovered that untreaded patterns on dry weather tires allowed the rubbers surface area to have more contact with the road. In turn, wet weather tires have a tread which allows water to channel away from the contact patch keeping grip intact. This technology has trickled to consumer tires: off-road vehicles are likely to have deep tread tires, where sports cars will have lighter treads keeping more rubber in touch with the road.

Possibly the most important influence that Formula 1 has had is research on safety. With cars reaching speeds of over 200 mph, the drivers need to be safe, and the same is true of cars on the road. Race cars are rigorously tested and the data is used to better understand how to manage the impact of crashes in road cars. In a crash most modern cars will crumple right up until the cab which is reinforced, similar to the way an F1 car disintegrates into a carbon fibre tub after a crash.

In racing, development is all about speed, in consumer vehicles it’s all about using less fuel. Both results can be found on different sides of the same coin. The extreme conditions of racing provide a very fast and efficient way to test new developments, innovations can see city streets within 5 to 10 years.

What do you guys think, does the partnership give Infiniti an edge over its competitors?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always glad to see technologies like this being perfected on the track and then put into our road cars.
Yea absolutely. Even though we have a little wait before the Q30 bows I'm happy to wait considering what Infiniti is up to with RBR. Vettel was huge in developing the Q50, so to take the lessons learned there and apply them to Q30 is only beneficial.

Additionally having Vettel involved in a 2 or 3 year development is certainly exciting considering what he did with only a year of influence with the Q50.

Lastly the wait gives the technology some time to mature before it gets put in a road going Q30, and with F1 going to 1.6L blown 6's next year there is even further research for Infiniti to capitalize on. Imagine an F1 bred plant in road going cars. Its likely the Q30 wont see a V6 under its hood but Infiniti can learn some important lessons about the stress of forced induction over long periods of time as well as developing the energy recovery system further.

really an exciting time to be shopping for Infiniti's

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yea absolutely. Even though we have a little wait before the Q30 bows I'm happy to wait considering what Infiniti is up to with RBR. Vettel was huge in developing the Q50, so to take the lessons learned there and apply them to Q30 is only beneficial.

Additionally having Vettel involved in a 2 or 3 year development is certainly exciting considering what he did with only a year of influence with the Q50.

Lastly the wait gives the technology some time to mature before it gets put in a road going Q30, and with F1 going to 1.6L blown 6's next year there is even further research for Infiniti to capitalize on. Imagine an F1 bred plant in road going cars. Its likely the Q30 wont see a V6 under its hood but Infiniti can learn some important lessons about the stress of forced induction over long periods of time as well as developing the energy recovery system further.

really an exciting time to be shopping for Infiniti's
Exactly :D

And this just means one step closer to even more epic IPL models.
If there's any area Infiniti needs to improve on that will put them in the spotlight is a line of impressive IPL models.

Basically Infiniti needs to make the shift Lexus did from where they were 5-10 years ago to where they are today and will be in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
279 Posts
To be honest we still have not seen how Vettels involvement in the Q50 has brought any changes or advantages. Noone has even really tested the Q50 yet.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest we still have not seen how Vettels involvement in the Q50 has brought any changes or advantages. Noone has even really tested the Q50 yet.
I've read that during development Vettel would run hot laps with the engineers and then afterwards head up to the boadroom and give a full on race debrief, delving into handling nuances, gear ratios and acceleration latency. He broke the car down from a drivers perspective.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Nothing like track proven results and involvement from motor racing teams to improve our daily driven vehicle dynamics.

·
Registered
144 Posts
good point queued, Ever think about what the roughly $50-100 invested annually by teams on salary could actually do? or how about all the money fans throw away on tickets and merchandise, not to mention the time expense that goes into viewing professional sports?

I agree that the only sport that actually returns on its investment is Motor Racing. When sports teams invest in player with a contract their returns constantly diminish as the players age, motor sports invest in technology which appreciate in value as they mature.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It might just be worth the wait for these IPL models. But I have to say the first generation of the IPL models sucked. I really hope this is the case. The best performance tested on track and implement them in to production vehicles, like a Q30 IPL. I already know that there is a big crowd waiting for the Q60 IPL.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can see where Infiniti is taking the hybrid technology they have acquired. I am more then happy to see hybrids getting out of the prius era. Whenever you hear about a hybrid it always related or thought upon for the prius. Infiniti has turn it around big time. Never have I thought what adding in an electric motor can do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad to see that infiniti also have a racing car.. i love this kind of racing cars because they looks like prefect racing cars... but need more photos for get a clear view of that formula car. thanks for sharing the photo, i like that.

·
Registered
766 Posts
You can see where Infiniti is taking the hybrid technology they have acquired. I am more then happy to see hybrids getting out of the prius era. Whenever you hear about a hybrid it always related or thought upon for the prius. Infiniti has turn it around big time. Never have I thought what adding in an electric motor can do.
That's how it is throughout the industry now. You have you economy hybrids and performance hybrids.
I think even the day when the prius came out they were also working on performance hybrids...just that maybe economy was easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts