Infiniti Q30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Infiniti has just broke ground in Sunderland, the UK, to build a new plant which will be tasked with building the new Infiniti Q30. This will be the first Infiniti plant in Europe and it will create 1,000 new jobs.

This is another milestone because it is the first time that a new car brand will be manufactured in the UK in 23 years. The new facilities will include a body shop for Q30 assembly and a trim and chassis assembly shop as well.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's been a while since i have heard of NA car being manufactured in the UK. there has always been discussion of quality in certain countries do you think people will have more positive thoughts on their vehicles being built there?

·
Registered
766 Posts
It's been a while since i have heard of NA car being manufactured in the UK. there has always been discussion of quality in certain countries do you think people will have more positive thoughts on their vehicles being built there?
Tough to say, they don't have much of a history producing cars their. For now I wouldn't worry too much. Infiniti's in general are reliable, we'll just have to see how things go over time.

·
Registered
279 Posts
good news.

thanks for the find and post. first time building a new car in the UK in 23 years..

Now that I didn't know.. kind of sad tbh

·
Registered
168 Posts
Globalization does weird things to the world. Great to hear that they are producing a new car in the UK again. Why do you think that is though? It must be cheaper to build it somewhere else, like Mexico for example. Not only cheaper cost of manufacturing, but also cheaper shipping costs.

·
Registered
144 Posts
this plant is not going to produce all the Q30's. Infiniti is doing it like Mercedes and setting up manufacturing facilities globally to service certain markets. North American C classes are made in US now, German C-classes are still made in Germany....

·
Registered
766 Posts
this plant is not going to produce all the Q30's. Infiniti is doing it like Mercedes and setting up manufacturing facilities globally to service certain markets. North American C classes are made in US now, German C-classes are still made in Germany....
It's just like how they have a 2nd Q50 plant in China. It's a good move by Infiniti rather than putting the load all on one manufacturing plant.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So will this factory be building Q30s for Europe or North America (or both?) Does anybody know where any of the other Q30 factories are?

·
Registered
55 Posts
good news.

thanks for the find and post. first time building a new car in the UK in 23 years..

Now that I didn't know.. kind of sad tbh
why did they stop building in the first place and why are they starting again now. does it actually cost less to have cars built there. After all it is the Uk I would imagine labour cost would be more than others like mexico or brazil.

·
Registered
144 Posts
So will this factory be building Q30s for Europe or North America (or both?) Does anybody know where any of the other Q30 factories are?
Europe. Rumor has it the NA Q30's will be built in Mexico alongside GLA and CLA, but that could all change as well. I believe they want NA production to be coupled with Mercedes, all three share the same MFA platform. I know MB just opened a new plant in Brazil for GLA, so maybe there...

·
Registered
766 Posts
Europe. Rumor has it the NA Q30's will be built in Mexico alongside GLA and CLA, but that could all change as well. I believe they want NA production to be coupled with Mercedes, all three share the same MFA platform. I know MB just opened a new plant in Brazil for GLA, so maybe there...
That's the same info I heard, seems like thats what will happen.
It only makes sense they keep cars of the same platform being produced under the same roof. The costs to do anything else will just be unnecessary

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a feeling this plant will also build upcoming Infiniti models as well.

No way one plant will just build the Q30. But I mean.. Its pretty cool for now knowing there is a plant dedicated to just one car :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
I have a feeling this plant will also build upcoming Infiniti models as well.

No way one plant will just build the Q30. But I mean.. Its pretty cool for now knowing there is a plant dedicated to just one car :)
it's very possible that when the other models get redesigned that they end up at this plant. do you know if they will use the Q50/Q30 platform on anything else?

·
Registered
144 Posts
well infinti keeps saying there is going to be 3 or 4 cars based on the MFA platform under the Q30 so its likely the keep making all MFA vehicles under the same roof..

·
Registered
279 Posts
History of the Sunderland Factory by Nissan

Took some digging buy I found it!

1984: Nissan and HM Government sign an agreement to build a car plant in the UK. Nissan Motor Manufacturing UK (NMUK) Ltd established.

1986: First Nissan Bluebird for commercial sale produced at Sunderland.

1990: Production of Nissan Primera begins, production of Nissan Bluebird ends.

1992: Total investment in NMUK reaches £900 million - the largest single Japanese inward investment in Europe. Plant becomes two car production facility with the start of Micra production. Total production reaches 500,000 vehicles.
1993: Nissan receives second Queen’s Award for Export Achievement. Presented with RSA Environmental Award for its “excellence of environmental management” for production of Micra.
1994: Nissan awarded a Gold Award for excellence in occupational health and safety by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA).
1995: One millionth vehicle produced. One millionth engine completed.
1998: Production of New Primera Estate begins.
1999: Millionth Micra built - the first Japanese manufacturer in Europe to reach this landmark. Millionth Primera also built.
2000: The production of a third model, the Almera, begins at Sunderland plant
2001: Production of next generation Primera begins.
2002: Production of new Micra begins.
2003: World Markets Research Centre identifies Sunderland plant as the most productive in Europe for the seventh consecutive year.
2004: Sunderland produces its millionth car for the UK market.
2005: Micra C+C goes into production. Six wind turbines are installed and begin to generate power.
2006: Note production begins and Almera production ends. Qashqai production begins.
2007: Qashqai and Micra C+C begin to be exported to Japan. Primera production ends. Nissan announces the construction of a £4.5 million Parts Logistic Centre.
2008: Total production exceeds five million. Four more wind turbines installed, taking total to ten.
2009: Sunderland Plant receives Queen’s Award for Export.
2010: Work begins on battery plant facility, which will build lithium-ion batteries for Leaf electric car from 2012. Micra production ends. Juke production begins. Sunderland becomes the first UK car plant to build more than 400,000 passenger vehicles in a year (total production 420,000).
2011: Sunderland Plant produces its millionth Qashqai and 6 millionth car this year, almost 25 years since production began. Record production year for the plant and the UK car industry of 480,485 units.
2012: SMMT identifies Nissan Sunderland Plant as the biggest UK car plant for 14 years running, and the biggest UK car exporter for the twelfth year in a row. Record annual production of more than 500,000 cars. Nissan announces that the new Inifiniti will be built in Sunderland. Total production at the Sunderland plant is more than 6.9 million units.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Q30 production commences on 3rd december 2015

See feature in today's UK Daily Telegraph regarding the official start of Q30 production this Thursday 3rd December 2015. Pre-production and demonstrator models have been previewed in showrooms and shopping malls for the past 6 weeks but now customers official orders will be rolling off the production-line at long last:

Britain is our bridgehead to Europe because of its world-class talent - Telegraph

Although I have placed a provisional order for a Magnetic Red Q30 1.6 Petrol/ Manual SE for 1st March 2016 delivery, I have yet to have a test-drive. My local showroom has currently just one 2.2Ltr Diesel Automatic demonstrator but hopefully my spec car should be available for test drive within the next 3/4 weeks.

Having seen the specification and price lists I am probably going to upgrade my order from basic SE to 'Premium' spec. :D

The Infiniti's Q30 web site 'CONFIGURATOR' is still unavailable but hopefully it will be on-line later this week!.

·
Registered
766 Posts
That's quite the history at that plant, never expected them to go back as far as the bluebird! One of the most classic Nissans/Datsuns

·
Registered
46 Posts
Juke rs nismo is also built at Sunderland, and yes the plant has an impressive history nmuk builds more cars per year than the entire Italian car industry...its also a year on year record breaking facility for volume and customer satisfaction

Infiniti is nissan's premium brand and never before has the brand been built outside of Japan until now....this is a very big step up for us not only to be destroying the competition will volume but now joining forces with daimler to out do the Germans at the quality game...yes you will get people who will mock and say it's a merc in a posh frock...but is that a bad thing?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts