Infiniti Q30 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Apple has a new patent for vehicle dashboards, following their iOS In the Car app released earlier this year Apple is serious about being in your next car. With Android slicing up iPhone sales, Apple is actively searching for diversified revenue.

The patent is a screen that would control nav, music, HVAC, wiper and defrosters. Apple is working to involve tactile feedback from the interface. During use the screen would respond beyond a subtle vibration (shot at Cadillac). The setup could include raised edges, indents or grooves making it easier to find controls while you should be concentrating on the road.

Already iOS In the Car is slotted for use by a dozen automakers, where this gets interesting is that all vehicle interfaces could be homogenized similar to what iTunes did to music management. BMW has already stated they are not interested.

With Ford already heavily into Sync with MSFT, will cars be the next PC vs Mac debate?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Nice picture for a second there I thought this actually had reached Infiniti's interior media set up.

Since every manufacturer has their own infotainment system in the works why would they even get involved with apple with their IOS. Would this just promote unnecessary use of these devices while driving?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice picture for a second there I thought this actually had reached Infiniti's interior media set up.

Since every manufacturer has their own infotainment system in the works why would they even get involved with apple with their IOS. Would this just promote unnecessary use of these devices while driving?
I could see them interested at least A) because of Apples pedigree (Ferrari is in after all) and B) Save on dev costs

·
Registered
58 Posts
I agree with you on each manufacturers saving on development cost but then you will have a generic infotainment system. The problem with that is there is nothing unique about it and it takes away from the brands reputation for not being creative.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like the idea but it would benefit the auto makers to save on cost and we still would have the same things all across the board. So now we have the cookie cutter effect.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I could see them interested at least A) because of Apples pedigree (Ferrari is in after all) and B) Save on dev costs
Awesome! I never knew Ferrari would ever take part in this but you never know. That must be a huge gain for Apple.

Seeing how Apple products just like any other can have issues with freezing and errors I would be worried. But I am sure it will be built to high standards since it's Ferrari they are dealing with.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the idea but it would benefit the auto makers to save on cost and we still would have the same things all across the board. So now we have the cookie cutter effect.
We already have a cookie cutter effect, moat cars use gas, have windshields and roll on four wheels :D okay enough smart-alecky

Keep in mind this isnt like homogenization of engines or suspension. Driving dynamics would have nothing to do here so in freeing up dev funds and dev man power automakers can worry about advancing driving dynmaics instead of splitting time with infotainment systems.

When I buy a car it drives first, fiddles second.

Besides most people are more than okay using iTunes/iPods for mp3, almost 90% of this country has a love affair with Apple products, this just extends it one further. Im sure companies like GM would kill for the kind of love Apple gets from its user base.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts