Infiniti Q30 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been doing a little research, and while there are some gaps in the information, here is everything I has figured out about the Nissan/Daimler joint production facility in Mexico that will build the Infiniti Q30, as well as a number of other Infiniti and Mercedes-Benz vehicles.

Daimler and Nissan's Infiniti plan to pool development costs of compact cars to cut costs, expand Mercedes-Benz's North American production, and broaden the Infiniti line-up. The two companies have split costs 50/50 in investing in Nissan's Aguacalientes 2 plant, and the New Generation Compact Car (NGCC) platform.

The NGCC platform underpins cars like the Infiniti Q30, and the Mercedes-Benz GLA, CLA and B-Class Electric Drive. Because the Q30 and GLA share a platform, it is relatively easy to build the two vehicles in the same plant.

The second plant at Aguacalientes was a $2 billion venture that opened in November of 2013. As I'm sure you can guess, the Q30 and GLA will both be built there. The Daimler board hasn't yet approved the plans for production of the GLA, but the board should be voting on it some time this month. The factory has an initial production capacity of 175,000 units per year.

I think that some have worried that the Q30 may suffer from some of the poor build quality problems that the CLA has seen. I can't confirm or deny this. This is what I will say though. If the problems are due to the platform, then there is a chance that the Q30 will suffer from some issues. If it is due to quality control, there is no reason to think that issues with the CLA should bleed into the Q30's production. This is because the CLA isn't being built in the same facility as the Q30.

That's about all I can find at the moment. Feel free to add to it if you have any more information. :D

·
Registered
766 Posts
I worry about build quality, not much we can say about it until we see these cars in person. Until then, just hope it's good.

·
Registered
279 Posts
nice writeup

thanks for sharing

build quality has alot to do with quality control sometimes

more so than the quality of the actual materials

though that does come into play too

·
Registered
766 Posts
It does, a number of issues do come down to how parts are made whether it be an engineering problem or when the parts were being made.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think its worth quite the giggle that there are going to be Mercedes running around this world that were built in a Nissan factory and use REnault engines...

·
Registered
766 Posts
I think its worth quite the giggle that there are going to be Mercedes running around this world that were built in a Nissan factory and use REnault engines...
haha yup, at least if any of your friends happen to own those you can make fun of them for that, call their mercedes a nissan ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts