Infiniti Q30 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Is it possible to review a car without talking about its engine? Can you describe the way a powerplant feels without commenting on the vehicle it’s bolted into?

The answer is a stern 'no' on both counts, which is why this evaluation has as much to do with the 2016 Infiniti Q50 as it does with the brand’s latest engine. This stylish four-door is the Japanese automaker’s best-selling nameplate. In fact, it has delivered more than 110,000 Q50s in the United States since 2013.

To keep a good thing going, the car has been mildly warmed over for the new model year, though it has also received a range of sweeping changes, the largest of which are hidden behind its large, mesh-filled grille.

Infiniti has totally revamped the Q50’s engine lineup for 2016, offering North American customers four all-new powertrains. Serving base duty, there’s a Daimler-designed four-cylinder engine. This turbocharged 2.0-liter delivers 208 horsepower along with 258 lb-ft of torque, rather unimpressive numbers for that level of displacement, but it’s supposedly meant to compete with the BMW 320i, which scuffles along with a measly 180 carnival ponies.

Beyond this, a tech-laden 360-horsepower hybrid variant will also be available, and, of course, in certain markets (not North America), customers will also be able to opt for a 2.2-liter diesel. All of that is well and good, but unfortunately, none of these propulsion systems are all that groundbreaking or even particularly exciting, at least not compared to the new V6 Infiniti’s been cooking up for the past few years.
Read more about the 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400 Review at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I see this as a good baby step for Infiniti, it allows them to tape a step forward in offering a more potent package and at the same time test the demand for something even more powerful, like the Eau Rouge Q50. But it could be said they could do what Lexus did and jump right into performance like what was done with the IS-F.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wouldn't mind seeing that improve direct adaptive steering in the Q30 for a more engaging ride along with that 400hp engine under the hood.

·
Registered
766 Posts
that's what they should be doing, if that much power is going into this there's no better way to complement it than with good steering along with other areas being looked at, after all that's how car makers operate, have to make a well rounded package.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I won't mind the bit of cabin noise since it's sort of an expectation I have about Japanese luxury cars, that they won't be as quiet as other luxury cars. who knows this might add to the whole driving experience in a positive way .

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just got a news from Infiniti. New Q60 is going to be in the UK around Oct this year, might be earlier. Now one has already been sold in Poland. Today I have ordered one which is 3.0tt in red colour.

·
Registered
189 Posts
You got a Q60 to match your Q30? Wish I could afford both and as much as I like the Q60, utility comes first and the Q30 just has more space.
Did you get the red one with white interior?

·
Registered
766 Posts
That's actually a nice combination to have, Q30 as the daily for any weather condition and the Q60 for fun during nice weather.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You got a Q60 to match your Q30? Wish I could afford both and as much as I like the Q60, utility comes first and the Q30 just has more space.
Did you get the red one with white interior?
My dream is to have Q60 + QX60. That would be great! However, Infiniti has no plan to bring QX60 to the UK. Now I am having Q50 hybrid, Q30 and Ford Galaxy... Always hope they bring the QX60. Few days ago, my friend asked me if I want the QX80. I said it is too big for this country...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Maybe one day in the distant future, you'll be able to fulfill your dreams. In the meantime, you can drive away your sorrows in a new Q60. That car is a beauty inside and out! infiniti is coming out with a Q60 red sport. I guess you just can't wait that long for it? Or did you not want that one?

·
Registered
766 Posts
My ultimate dream is to have a QX80 and a Q60 IPL. QX80 is about one of the nicest SUV's in its segment, even ex-Escalade owners love it, the same guys have capital for the new Escalade but rather go QX80.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If QX80 could use the new 3.0tt, I might think about it. The existing QX80, fuel consumption is not good at all... About the size, it is too big for this country, even hard to find a parking place...
Really cannot wait that long for the new Q60. Originally I wanted to wait the convertible... They might do it next year.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Infiniti should just expand their red sport lineup and put the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 in all the cars! QX80? Slap a 3.0 tt in there. Q30? Slap a 3.0 tt in there too! It has great fuel consumption and performance so I don't see why not. Besides the price but some people are willing to pay for it.

I think the Q60 looks great as a coupe because of the nice roofline which wouldn't be there in the convertible.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Infiniti should just expand their red sport lineup and put the 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 in all the cars! QX80? Slap a 3.0 tt in there. Q30? Slap a 3.0 tt in there too! It has great fuel consumption and performance so I don't see why not. Besides the price but some people are willing to pay for it.

I think the Q60 looks great as a coupe because of the nice roofline which wouldn't be there in the convertible.
They might do in the future. At the moment, Infiniti only has a small market share in EU. They have sold only 8000+ cars in EU last year (real number is not). Now, they need to open the market first, and that is the reason why they have built the Q30. I hope they could bring the 2.5 supercharged hybrid engine to the EU and put it into for example Q50 (Q50 might be made in Sunderland later). They also could modify the 2.5 engine and put it into Q30/QX30. Lots of things they could do if they wish to do. Q30 has become popular, and people are getting to know the brand.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hybrids are getting more and more popular in the market with great fuel economy numbers so I won't be surprised if Infiniti does comes out with one to get their share of the hybrid pie.

If the left lane numbers are accurate, Infiniti only sold 539 vehicles in January of this year which is beating their previous January sales from the past 4 years. Think most of them are from the Q30?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hybrids are getting more and more popular in the market with great fuel economy numbers so I won't be surprised if Infiniti does comes out with one to get their share of the hybrid pie.

If the left lane numbers are accurate, Infiniti only sold 539 vehicles in January of this year which is beating their previous January sales from the past 4 years. Think most of them are from the Q30?
Q30 has become popular in UK. During the NC500 trip, I have seen few Q30s on the road in Scotland.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts