Infiniti is building a plant in Sunderland, UK, which will build the Q30 - Infiniti Q30 Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Infiniti is building a plant in Sunderland, UK, which will build the Q30

Infiniti has just broke ground in Sunderland, the UK, to build a new plant which will be tasked with building the new Infiniti Q30. This will be the first Infiniti plant in Europe and it will create 1,000 new jobs.

This is another milestone because it is the first time that a new car brand will be manufactured in the UK in 23 years. The new facilities will include a body shop for Q30 assembly and a trim and chassis assembly shop as well.

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 PM

It's been a while since i have heard of NA car being manufactured in the UK. there has always been discussion of quality in certain countries do you think people will have more positive thoughts on their vehicles being built there?
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevlan View Post
It's been a while since i have heard of NA car being manufactured in the UK. there has always been discussion of quality in certain countries do you think people will have more positive thoughts on their vehicles being built there?
Tough to say, they don't have much of a history producing cars their. For now I wouldn't worry too much. Infiniti's in general are reliable, we'll just have to see how things go over time.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 AM

good news.

thanks for the find and post. first time building a new car in the UK in 23 years..

Now that I didn't know.. kind of sad tbh
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 11:55 AM

Globalization does weird things to the world. Great to hear that they are producing a new car in the UK again. Why do you think that is though? It must be cheaper to build it somewhere else, like Mexico for example. Not only cheaper cost of manufacturing, but also cheaper shipping costs.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 01:26 PM

this plant is not going to produce all the Q30's. Infiniti is doing it like Mercedes and setting up manufacturing facilities globally to service certain markets. North American C classes are made in US now, German C-classes are still made in Germany....
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mona View Post
this plant is not going to produce all the Q30's. Infiniti is doing it like Mercedes and setting up manufacturing facilities globally to service certain markets. North American C classes are made in US now, German C-classes are still made in Germany....
It's just like how they have a 2nd Q50 plant in China. It's a good move by Infiniti rather than putting the load all on one manufacturing plant.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

So will this factory be building Q30s for Europe or North America (or both?) Does anybody know where any of the other Q30 factories are?
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trals View Post
good news.

thanks for the find and post. first time building a new car in the UK in 23 years..

Now that I didn't know.. kind of sad tbh
why did they stop building in the first place and why are they starting again now. does it actually cost less to have cars built there. After all it is the Uk I would imagine labour cost would be more than others like mexico or brazil.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunamarama View Post
So will this factory be building Q30s for Europe or North America (or both?) Does anybody know where any of the other Q30 factories are?
Europe. Rumor has it the NA Q30's will be built in Mexico alongside GLA and CLA, but that could all change as well. I believe they want NA production to be coupled with Mercedes, all three share the same MFA platform. I know MB just opened a new plant in Brazil for GLA, so maybe there...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page