Fuel Economy Numbers - Infiniti Q30 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Fuel Economy Numbers

What's the fuel consumption for everyone?

Someone reviewed a Q30 Sport 2.0T 7DCT 4WD and 28.8 mpg instead of the 45.6 mpg Infiniti claims it has and this was in favorable conditions. That's 37% decrease than what Infiniti claims.
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:59 AM

That is a significant difference in what Infiniti claims, to the point where I'm pretty sure a lawsuit could follow ?
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I guess it could unless they can prove what their claiming ?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Pat

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I suppose you refer to Neil Winton’s review, in which case we’re talking imperial mpg, well, for a 2 liter petrol engine driving a 4WD, I would say that 28.8 mpg is about par for the course.

As regards mpg manufacturer claims, I don’t even bother with those, at a stretch, since all carmakers grossly overestimate the mpg (on the basis of absurd test protocols), I may use their figures for comparison purposes just to get a rough idea about which cars are thirstier or more sober, but that's about the size of it.

So far our 1.6 petrol 2WD with a little more than a thousand miles on the clock, is showing an average 35 mpg, for an average speed of 21 mph, which I consider fair enough knowing how my wife drives (should I dare utter the word “eco-driving”, she would accuse me of being rude to her).
Indiana Jones likes this.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Lol, happy wife happy life.

Yup, the numbers were from Neil Winton’s review. why can't the world just use one form of universal measurement!? Manufacturer's fuel economy numbers are more like guidelines so I don't expect the average driver to get exactly what they list but somewhere close to it. I've read that manufacturers try to remove things from the car to reduce weight and improve their numbers, not sure if Infiniti does this too.

35 mpg seems a lot more reasonable especially if the driver is a bit heavy on the gas pedal. Conservative drivers may be able to get closer to the 40 mpg mark.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 10:20 AM

It's just the manufacturers get the fuel economy numbers under the utmost optimal circumstances. They probably hyper mile it the whole time too
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteClass View Post
It's just the manufacturers get the fuel economy numbers under the utmost optimal circumstances. They probably hyper mile it the whole time too
Most times they don't even put vehicles the sort of environments that real customers will be. So as I always say use the numbers they report as a reference point and wait till the real world numbers roll in, that's where it really gets good and where we can confirm if those initial numbers were helpful at all.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 12:29 PM

Yea that is true. They could just have it on a darn roller (dyno) and be running it on that.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 04:48 PM

Basically in a simulation similar to a dyno, it sucks but that's how the game is played and how they set the bar for those competing in the industry. After all we're living in the MPG war era.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:50 AM

Yup.. Thankfully the new CAFE standards are getting thrown in the trash with their ridiculous 50+ mpg requirement or some nonsense. I could only imagine how badly the manufacturers would be attempting to scam that

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page