Ménage à trois: Nissan-Renault-Daimler - Infiniti Q30 Forum
User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ménage à trois: Nissan-Renault-Daimler

I thought it would be a good idea to aggregate and clear up details concerning the agreements between Daimler and Nissan-Renault. As we all know the Q30 will be making use of the MFA architecture that was co developed with Mercedes Benz. However, the collaboration and hugging don't stop there.

There is a minor financial tie in, which is simply a symbolic stake exchange of 3.1%. Renault gave Daimler 3.1% of their newly issued shares in 2010, Daimler then received 3.1% of Nissan shares that Renault owns. Then to complicate things even further Renault traded Nissan 1.55% of their new stake in Daimler for an additional 2% stake in Nissan, meaning Renault and Nissan each hold 1.55% of Daimler.

So what was the point you may be asking? Hold on we're getting there...
  • Renault-Nissan provide small displacement 3 and 4 cylinders to Mercedes Benz modified to their liking. The first application of engine sharing was the A-class which then trickled out to the CLA and GLA.

• Daimler is now supplying Infiniti with petrol and diesel flat 4s and V6's. I'm not entirely sure if the small 4 cylinders are the same Renault 4 cylinders that had been modified for Mercedes.This is a clear indication that the Q30 will be using the CLA's powerplants in Europe and North America, the M270 petrol 4 cylinder and the flat 4 diesel from the CLA 180 for Europe and emerging markets.

• As we know this partnership has expanded to include shared platform development. The first fruit was the MFA but now there are new rumors that the two will be collaborating on a midsize SUV platform. The thinking is that the next gen QX70 and Mercedes ML will share architecture. Expect to see this for 2017.
AG Jeff likes this.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-30-2014, 01:48 PM

Do you think that this new architecture will be used for any brand new models, or are we just going to see it used to underpin next-gen models? I think that there is more of a chance of Mercedes using it for a new model than Infiniti.

Wow Mr Ghosne and Dr. Zetsche must be good friends.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

there could be new models but what could they possibly use?
there's already a lot they have and probably a good amount they don't

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:15 PM

hey if it is profitable for the both of them why not

more variety for us.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 12:34 PM

Its seems like more and more partnerships are popping up all the time. Its an interesting dynamic working with your competitors so often. It seems to be optimal for the companies and consumers too.

Remember that this platform can also be used for Nissasn vehicles, not just Infiniti vehicles.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-31-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcatraz View Post
Its seems like more and more partnerships are popping up all the time. Its an interesting dynamic working with your competitors so often. It seems to be optimal for the companies and consumers too.

Remember that this platform can also be used for Nissasn vehicles, not just Infiniti vehicles.
It could be, but nissan already has a well developed portfolio of CUV and small car architectures. The reason the MFA was developed with Benz was because the nissan small platforms we're not premium enough. Its unlikely Infiniti shares with Nissan in order to protect their models from dilution.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 12:56 PM

i have seen some news on the future of nissan and it doesn't seem like there's anything they will have that's infiniti platform based, i could be wrong
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:27 PM

I'm sure Infiniti and Nissan have close ties

They use similar parts so if Nissan gets new stuff so does Infiniti (eventually)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trals View Post
I'm sure Infiniti and Nissan have close ties

They use similar parts so if Nissan gets new stuff so does Infiniti (eventually)
yea they share engines, but they dont share platforms. I like it better this way...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 01:14 PM

That doesn't seem to be a very efficient way to run the company though.

Isn't Ford sharing vehicle architectures with Lincoln in order to save money? Obviously Lincoln isn't the best place to look for business advice, but I think it just is an example of how you can use the same platform to make totally different cars.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page